Testing Continuity of a Function Worksheet With Answers :
Here we are going to see how to test the continuity of a function.
(1) Prove that f(x) = 2x2 + 3x - 5 is continuous at all points in R. Solution
(2) Examine the continuity of the following
(i) x + sin x Solution
(ii) x2 cos x Solution
(iii) ex tan x Solution
(iv) e2x + x2 Solution
(v) x ln x Solution
(vi) sin x / x2 Solution
(vii) (x2 - 16) / (x + 4) Solution
(viii) |x + 2| + |x - 1| Solution
(ix) |x - 2| / |x + 1| Solution
(x) cot x + tan x Solution
(3) Find the points of discontinuity of the function f, where
(4) At the given point x0 discover whether the given function is continuous or discontinuous citing the reasons for your answer :
(5) Show that the function
is continuous on (- ∞, ∞). Solution
(6) For what value of a is this function f(x) =
continuous at x = 1 ? Solution
(7) Let f(x)
Graph the function. Show that f(x) continuous on (- ∞, ∞).
(8) If f and g are continuous functions with f(3) = 5 and lim x->3 [2 f(x) - g(x)] = 4, find g(3). Solution
(9) Find the points at which f is discontinuous. At which of these points f is continuous from the right, from the left, or neither? Sketch the graph of f.
(10) A function f is defined as follows :
Is the function continuous?
(11) Which of the following functions f has a removable discontinuity at x = x0? If the discontinuity is removable, find a function g that agrees with f for x ≠ x0 and is continuous on R.
(i) f(x) = (x2 - 2x - 8)/(x + 2), x0 = -2 Solution
(ii) f(x) = (x3 + 64)/(x + 4), x0 = -4 Solution
(iii) f(x) = (3 - √x)/(9 - x), x0 = 9 Solution
(12) Find the constant b that makes g continuous on (−∞, ∞)
(13) Consider the function f (x) = x sin π/x What value must we give f(0) in order to make the function continuous everywhere? Solution
(14) The function f(x) = (x2 - 1) / (x3 - 1) is not defined at x = 1. What value must we give f(1) inorder to make f(x) continuous at x = 1 ? Solution
(15) State how continuity is destroyed at x = x0 for each of the following graphs.
After having gone through the stuff given above, we hope that the students would have understood, "How to Determine If a Function is Continuous on a Graph"
Apart from the stuff given in "How to Determine If a Function is Continuous on a Graph", if you need any other stuff in math, please use our google custom search here.
APTITUDE TESTS ONLINE
ACT MATH ONLINE TEST
TRANSFORMATIONS OF FUNCTIONS
ORDER OF OPERATIONS
MATH FOR KIDS
HCF and LCM word problems
Word problems on quadratic equations
Word problems on comparing rates
Ratio and proportion word problems
Converting repeating decimals in to fractions