Pair of Straight Lines Problems With Solution :
Here we are going to see some practice questions on pair of straight lines.
(1) Find the combined equation of the straight lines whose separate equations are x − 2y −3 = 0 and x + y+5 = 0. Solution
(2) Show that 4x2 + 4xy + y2 − 6x − 3y − 4 = 0 represents a pair of parallel lines. Solution
(3) Show that 2x2 + 3xy − 2y2 + 3x + y + 1 = 0 represents a pair of perpendicular lines. Solution
(4) Show that the equation 2x2 −xy−3y2 −6x + 19y − 20 = 0 represents a pair of intersecting lines. Show further that the angle between them is tan−1(5). Solution
(5) Prove that the equation to the straight lines through the origin, each of which makes an angle α with the straight line y = x is x2 − 2xy sec 2α + y2 = 0 Solution
(6) Find the equation of the pair of straight lines passing through the point (1, 3) and perpendicular to the lines 2x − 3y+1 = 0 and 5x + y − 3 = 0 Solution
(7) Find the separate equation of the following pair of straight lines
(i) 3x2 + 2xy − y2 = 0 Solution
(ii) 6(x − 1)2 + 5(x − 1)(y − 2) − 4(y − 2)2 = 0 Solution
(iii) 2x2 − xy − 3y2 − 6x + 19y − 20 = 0 Solution
(8) The slope of one of the straight lines ax2 + 2hxy + by2 = 0 is twice that of the other, show that 8h2 = 9ab. Solution
(9) The slope of one of the straight lines ax2 + 2hxy + by2 = 0 is three times the other, show that 3h2 = 4ab. Solution
(10) A ΔOPQ is formed by the pair of straight lines x2 −4xy +y2= 0 and the line PQ. The equation of PQ is x + y − 2 = 0. Find the equation of the median of the triangle ΔOPQ drawn from the origin O. Solution
(11) Find p and q, if the following equation represents a pair of perpendicular lines
6x2 + 5xy − py2 + 7x + qy − 5 = 0 Solution
(12) Find the value of k, if the following equation represents a pair of straight lines. Further, find whether these lines are parallel or intersecting, 12x2 + 7xy − 12y2 − x + 7y + k = 0 Solution
(13) For what value of k does the equation 12x2+2kxy+2y2+11x−5y+2 = 0 represent two straight lines.
(14) Show that the equation 9x2 − 24xy + 16y2 − 12x + 16y − 12 = 0 represents a pair of parallel lines. Find the distance between them. Solution
(15) Show that the equation 4x2 + 4xy + y2 − 6x − 3y −4 = 0 represents a pair of parallel lines. Find the distance between them. Solution
(16) Prove that one of the straight lines given by ax2 + 2hxy + by2 = 0 will bisect the angle between the co-ordinate axes if (a + b)2 = 4h2 Solution
(17) If the pair of straight lines x2 − 2kxy − y2 = 0 bisect the angle between the pair of straight lines x2 − 2lxy − y2 = 0, Show that the later pair also bisects the angle between the former. Solution
(18) Prove that the straight lines joining the origin to the points of intersection of 3x2 + 5xy − 3y2 + 2x + 3y = 0 and 3x − 2y − 1 = 0 are at right angles. Solution
After having gone through the stuff given above, we hope that the students would have understood "Pair of Straight Lines Problems With Solution".
Apart from "Pair of Straight Lines Problems With Solution" if you need any other stuff in math, please use our google custom search here.
You can also visit our following web pages on different stuff in math.
APTITUDE TESTS ONLINE
Aptitude test online
ACT MATH ONLINE TEST
TRANSFORMATIONS OF FUNCTIONS
ORDER OF OPERATIONS
Nature of the roots of a quadratic equation worksheets
MATH FOR KIDS
Time and work word problems
Pythagorean theorem word problems
Converting repeating decimals in to fractions
L.C.M method to solve time and work problems