Mixed Questions on Arithmetic and Geometric Progression :
Here we are going to see some practice questions on arithmetic and geometric progression question and answers.
(1) Write the first 6 terms of the sequences whose nth terms are given below and classify them as arithmetic progression, geometric progression, arithmetico-geometric progression, harmonic progression and none of them.
(ii) (n + 1)(n + 2) / (n + 3)(n + 4)
(iii) 4 (1/2)n
(v) (2n+3) / (3n+4)
(vii) (3n−2)/(3n−1) Solution
(2) Write the first 6 terms of the sequences whose nth term an is given below.
(i) an = n + 1 if n is odd
n if n is even Solution
(ii) an = 1 if n = 1
2 if n = 2
an−1 + an−2 if n > 2 Solution
(iii) an = n if n is 1, 2 or 3
an−1 + an−2 + an−3 if n > 3 Solution
(3) Write the nth term of the following sequences.
(i) 2, 2, 4, 4, 6, 6, ................ Solution
(ii) 1/2 , 2/3 , 3/4 , 4/5 , 5/6, ... Solution
(iii) 1/2 , 3/4 , 5/6 , 7/8 , 9/10, ... Solution
(iv) 6, 10, 4, 12, 2, 14, 0, 16, −2, . . Solution
(4) The product of three increasing numbers in GP is 5832. If we add 6 to the second number and 9 to the third number, then resulting numbers form an AP. Find the numbers in GP. Solution
(5) Write the nth term of the sequence
3/1222, 5/2232, 7/3242 , . . . as a difference of two terms. Solution
(6) If tk is the kth term of a GP, then show that tn−k, tn, tn+kalso form a GP for any positive integer k. Solution
(7) If a, b, c are in geometric progression, and if a1/x = b1/y = c1/z, then prove that x, y, z are in arithmetic progression. Solution
(8) The AM of two numbers exceeds their GM by 10 and HM by 16. Find the numbers. Solution
(9) If the roots of the equation (q − r)x2 + (r − p)x + p − q = 0 are equal, then show that p, q and r are in AP. Solution
(10) If a, b, c are respectively the pth, qth and rth terms of a GP, show that (q − r) log a + (r − p) log b + (p − q) log c = 0. Solution
After having gone through the stuff given above, we hope that the students would have understood "Mixed Questions on Arithmetic and Geometric Progression".
Apart from the stuff given above, if you want to know more about "Mixed Questions on Arithmetic and Geometric Progression". Apart from the stuff given in this section, if you need any other stuff in math, please use our google custom search here.
You can also visit our following web pages on different stuff in math.
APTITUDE TESTS ONLINE
ACT MATH ONLINE TEST
TRANSFORMATIONS OF FUNCTIONS
ORDER OF OPERATIONS
Converting customary units worksheet
Customary units worksheet
Integers and absolute value worksheets
Nature of the roots of a quadratic equation worksheets
Trigonometry heights and distances
MATH FOR KIDS
Word problems on linear equations
Trigonometry word problems
Word problems on mixed fractrions
Converting repeating decimals in to fractions