Practice Problems for Related Rates :
Worksheet given in this section will be much useful for the students who would like to practice the concept related rates.
(1) A point moves along a straight line in such a way that after t seconds its distance from the origin is
s = 2t2 + 3t metres.
(i) Find the average velocity of the points between t = 3 and t = 6 seconds.
(ii) Find the instantaneous velocity at t = 3 and t = 6 seconds.
(2) A camera is accidentally knocked off an edge of a cliff 400 ft high. The camera falls a distance of
s = 16t2
in t seconds.
(i) How long does the camera fall before it hits the ground?
(ii) What is the average velocity with which the camera falls during the last 2 seconds?
(iii) What is the instantaneous velocity of the camera when it hits the ground?
(3) A particles moves along a line according to the law
s(t) = 2t3 – 9t2 +12t – 4, where t ≥ 0.
(i) At what time the particle changes direction?
(ii) Find the total distance traveled by the particle in the first 4 seconds.
(iii) Find the particle’s acceleration each time the velocity is zero.
(4) If the volume of a cube of side length x is v = x3. Find the rate of change of the volume with respect to x when x = 5 units.
(5) If the mass m(x) (in kilogram) of a thin rod of length x (in meters) is given by, m(x) = then what is the rate of change of mass with respect to the length when it is x = 3 and x = 27 meters.
(6) A stone is dropped into a pond causing ripples in the form of concentric circles. The radius r of the outer ripple is increasing at a constant rate at 2 cm per second. When the radius is 5 cm find the rate of changing of the total area of the disturbed water?
(7) A beacon makes one revolution every 10 seconds. It is located on a ship which is anchored 5 km from a straight shore line. How fast is the beam moving along the shore line when it makes an angle of 45o with the shore?
(8) A conical water tank with vertex down of 12 meters height has a radius of 5 meters at the top. If water flows into the tank at rate of 10 cubic m/min, how fast is the depth of the water increases when the water is 8 meters deep?
(9) A ladder 17 meter long is leaning against the wall. The base of the ladder is pulled away from the wall at a rate of 5 m/s. When the base of the ladder is 8 meters from the wall?
(i) How fast is the top of the ladder moving down the wall?
(ii) At what rate, the area of the triangle formed by the ladder, wall, and the floor, is changing?
(10) A police jeep, approaching an orthogonal intersection from the northern direction, is chasing a speeding car that has turned and moving straight east. When the jeep is 0.6 km north of the intersection and the car is 0.8 km to the east. The police determine with a radar that the distance between them and the car is increasing at 20 km/hr. If the jeep is moving at 60 km/hr at the instant of measurement, what is the speed of the car?
After having gone through the stuff given above, we hope that the students would have practice problems on related rates.
Apart from the stuff given in this section, if you need any other stuff in math, please use our google custom search here.
You can also visit the following web pages on different stuff in math.
APTITUDE TESTS ONLINE
ACT MATH ONLINE TEST
TRANSFORMATIONS OF FUNCTIONS
ORDER OF OPERATIONS
Analytical geometry calculators
MATH FOR KIDS
Word problems on linear equations
Trigonometry word problems
Word problems on mixed fractrions
Ratio and proportion shortcuts
Converting repeating decimals in to fractions