Rotation transformation is one of the four types of transformations in geometry.
We can use the following rules to find the image after 90°, 180°, 270° clockwise and counterclockwise rotation.
Once students understand the rules which they have to apply for rotation transformation, they can easily make rotation transformation of a figure.
For example, if we are going to make rotation transformation of the point (5, 3) about 90° (clock wise rotation), after transformation, the point would be (3, -5).
Here the rule we have applied is (x, y) ------> (y, -x).
So we get ( 5, 3 ) -------> ( 3, -5 ).
Let us consider the following example to have better understanding of reflection.
Let A ( -2, 1), B (2, 4) and C (4, 2) be the three vertices of a triangle. If this triangle is rotated about 90° clockwise, what will be the new vertices A' , B' and C' ?
Step 1 :
First we have to know the correct rule that we have to apply in this problem.
Step 2 :
Here triangle is rotated about 90° clock wise. So the rule that we have to apply here is (x , y) -------> (y , -x)
Step 3 :
Based on the rule given in step 1, we have to find the vertices of the reflected triangle A'B'C'
Step 4 :
(x, y) -----> (y, -x)
A(-2, 1) -------> A'(1, 2)
B(2, 4) -------> B'(4, -2)
C(4, 2) -------> C'(2, -4)
Step 5 :
Vertices of the reflected triangle are
A'(1, 2), B(4, -2) and C'(2, -4)
1. First we have to plot the vertices of the pre-image.
2. In the above problem, the vertices of the pre-image are
A(-2, 1), B(2, 4) and C(4, 2)
3. When we plot these points on a graph paper, we will get the figure of the pre-image (original figure).
4. When we rotate the given figure about 90° clock wise, we have to apply the formula
(x, y) -------> (y, -x)
5. When we apply the formula, we will get the following vertices of the image (rotated figure).
6. In the above problem, vertices of the image are
A'(1, 2), B'(4, -2) and C'(2, -4)
7. When plot these points on the graph paper, we will get the figure of the image (rotated figure).
Apart from the stuff given in this section, if you need any other stuff in math, please use our google custom search here.
If you have any feedback about our math content, please mail us :
We always appreciate your feedback.
You can also visit the following web pages on different stuff in math.
Negative exponents rules
APTITUDE TESTS ONLINE
ACT MATH ONLINE TEST
TRANSFORMATIONS OF FUNCTIONS
ORDER OF OPERATIONS
MATH FOR KIDS
Word problems on linear equations
Trigonometry word problems
Word problems on mixed fractrions
Ratio and proportion shortcuts
Converting repeating decimals in to fractions