FRACTIONS WORD PROBLEMS WITH GRAPHS AND TABLES

Problem 1 :

John's family expenses are 7000 dollars a month. He made a pie chart on their expenses for food, housing, saving, clothing, entertainment and music as shown below. How much money does he spend for clothing and entertainment ?

Solution : 

John spends 11% for clothing and 13% for entertainment. The sum of these two expenses are 11 + 13  =  24%

To find the exact amount, we need to calculate 24% of his salary.

His salary  =  7000 dollars

  =  24% of 7000

  =  (24/100) x 7000

  =  $1680

So, John spends $1680 for clothing and entertainment.

Problem 2 :

Nanyung university offers four applied majors and monitors the number of students in each.

What fraction of the students in applied majors are majoring in computer science ?

Solution :

Number of students applied in computer science  =  190

Total number of students  =  210 + 360 + 190 + 100

  =  860

To find fraction divide 190 by 860,

=  190/860

=  19/86

Problem 3 :

The graph below shows the information on the number of farm animals owned by Betty.

(i)  What is the total percentage of animal owned by Jason and Walter ?

(ii)  How many animals are owned by Daniel ?

Solution :

Percentage of animals owned by Jason  =  30%

Percentage of animals owned by Walter  =  120%

Total percentage  =  (30/100) + (120/100)

  =  (30 + 120)/100

  =  150/100

So, 150% of animals owned by Jason and Walter.

Percentage of animals owned by Daniel  =  50%

From this we have to understand that, Daniel is having 50% of animals in total number of animals

Total number of animals  =  120 + 90 + 50 + 10 + 30

  =  300

Total number of animals that Daniel has 

=  (50/100) x 300

  =  150

Problem 4 :

A band from Bloomington went on tour over the summer, and each member chipped in for the cost of gas.

What fraction of the gas money came from Karlene ?

Solution : 

Total contribution for gas costs is 

=  430 + 720 + 820 + 490 + 760

=  $3220

Amount contributed by Karlene is $720.

Fraction of the gas money came from Karlene is

=  720 / 3220

=  36/161

Problem 5 :

A cheese merchant in Springfield sells cheeses from a variety of regions, and he noted how much from each region was sold last year.

What fraction of the cheese sold was from Spain ?

Solution : 

Total amount of cheese sold (in kilograms) is 

=  830 + 920 + 940 + 640 + 680

=  4010 kg

Amount of cheese from Spain is 940 kg. 

Fraction of the cheese sold was from Spain :

=  940 / 4010

=  94/401

Apart from the stuff given in this section, if you need any other stuff in math, please use our google custom search here.

Kindly mail your feedback to v4formath@gmail.com

We always appreciate your feedback.

©All rights reserved. onlinemath4all.com

Recent Articles

  1. Angular Speed and Linear Speed

    Dec 07, 22 05:15 AM

    Angular Speed and Linear Speed - Concepts - Formulas - Examples

    Read More

  2. Linear Speed Formula

    Dec 07, 22 05:13 AM

    Linear Speed Formula and Examples

    Read More

  3. Angular Speed and Linear Speed Worksheet

    Dec 07, 22 05:08 AM

    Angular Speed and Linear Speed Worksheet

    Read More