CONVERTING INCHES TO CENTIMETERS

To solve many real world problems, we may have to convert inches to centimeters. 

We can convert inches to centimeters by using the shortcut 

1 inch  ≃  2.54 centimeters 

That is, we have to multiply the given inches by 2.54 to convert it to centimeters. 

Example 1 :

The length of a sheet of paper is 11 inches. What is this length in centimeters ? 

Solution : 

We can use a bar diagram to solve this problem. Each part represents 1 inch.

The total length of the above bar diagram is 11 inches and its has been divided into 11 equal parts, each part represents 1 inch

We know that 

1 inch  ≃  2.54 centimeters

There are eleven 2.54 centimeters in the above bar diagram.  

Then, we have

11 inches  =  11 x 2.54 centimeters

11 inches  =  27.94 centimeters

Another method :

Another way to solve this problem is to write a proportion and find equivalent ratios.

In this method also, we get the same answer. 

That is,

11 inches  =  27.94 centimeters

So, the length of the sheet of paper is 27.94 centimeters approximately.

Example 2 :

The height of a tree is 98 inches. Find the height of the tree in centimeters.  

Solution : 

We know that 

1 inch  ≃  2.54 centimeters

We want to convert 98 inches to centimeters.   

Then, we have

98 inches  =  98 x 2.54 centimeters

98 inches  =  248.92 centimeters

So, the height of the tree is 248.92 centimeters approximately.

Example 3 :

The length of a wood is 135 inches. If the wood is cut into 45 pieces of equal length, find the length of each in centimeters. 

Solution : 

The length of each piece in inches is

=  135 / 45

=   3 inches

Now, the length of each piece in centimeter is 

=  3 x 2.54 

=  7.62 centimeters 

So, the length of each piece is 7.62 centimeters approximately. 

Example 4 :

The length of a iron rod is 90 inches. If 40% of the rod is melted, find the length of remaining rod in centimeters ? 

Solution : 

If 40% is melted, the remaining will be 60%.

Then, the length of the remaining rod in inches is 

=  60% x 90

=   0.6 x 90

=  54 inches

Now, the length of the remaining rod in centimeters is 

=  54 x 2.54 

=  137.16 centimeters 

So, the length of the remaining rod is 137.16 centimeters approximately. 

Apart from the stuff given above, if you need any other stuff in math, please use our google custom search here.

Kindly mail your feedback to v4formath@gmail.com

We always appreciate your feedback.

©All rights reserved. onlinemath4all.com

Recent Articles

  1. Power Rule of Logarithms

    Oct 04, 22 11:08 PM

    Power Rule of Logarithms - Concept - Solved Problems

    Read More

  2. Product Rule of Logarithms

    Oct 04, 22 11:07 PM

    Product Rule of Logarithms - Concept - Solved Problems

    Read More

  3. Quotient Rule of Logarithms

    Oct 04, 22 11:06 PM

    Quotient Rule of Logarithms - Concept - Solved Problems

    Read More